Synonyms of lock
- 1. lock, fastener, fastening, holdfast, fixing
- usage: a fastener fitted to a door or drawer to keep it firmly closed
- 2. lock, curl, ringlet, whorl, hair
- usage: a strand or cluster of hair
- 3. lock, mechanism
- usage: a mechanism that detonates the charge of a gun
- 4. lock, lock chamber, enclosure
- usage: enclosure consisting of a section of canal that can be closed to control the water level; used to raise or lower vessels that pass through it
- 5. lock, ignition lock, restraint, constraint
- usage: a restraint incorporated into the ignition switch to prevent the use of a vehicle by persons who do not have the key
- 6. lock, wrestling hold
- usage: any wrestling hold in which some part of the opponent's body is twisted or pressured
- 1. lock, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: fasten with a lock; "lock the bike to the fence"
- 2. engage, mesh, lock, operate, move, displace
- usage: keep engaged; "engaged the gears"
- 3. lock, engage
- usage: become rigid or immoveable; "The therapist noticed that the patient's knees tended to lock in this exercise"
- 4. lock, interlock, interlace, hold, take hold
- usage: hold in a locking position; "He locked his hands around her neck"
- 5. interlock, lock, embrace, hug, bosom, squeeze
- usage: become engaged or intermeshed with one another; "They were locked in embrace"
- 6. lock, overwhelm, overpower, sweep over, whelm, overcome, overtake
- usage: hold fast (in a certain state); "He was locked in a laughing fit"
- 7. lock in, lock away, lock, put away, shut up, shut away, lock up, confine
- usage: place in a place where something cannot be removed or someone cannot escape; "The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend"; "She locked her jewels in the safe"
- 8. lock, pass, go through, go across
- usage: pass by means through a lock in a waterway
- 9. lock, construct, build, make
- usage: build locks in order to facilitate the navigation of vessels
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of lock (Dictionary)