- 1. likely (vs. unlikely), apt(predicate), liable(predicate), probable, promising, possible
- usage: has a good chance of being the case or of coming about; "these services are likely to be available to us all before long"; "she is likely to forget"; "a likely place for a restaurant"; "the broken limb is likely to fall"; "rain is likely"; "a likely topic for investigation"; "likely candidates for the job"
- 2. probable (vs. improbable), likely, equiprobable, presumptive, verisimilar
- usage: likely but not certain to be or become true or real; "a likely result"; "he foresaw a probable loss"
- 3. likely, potential, prospective (vs. retrospective)
- usage: expected to become or be; in prospect; "potential clients"
- 4. likely, credible (vs. incredible), believable
- usage: within the realm of credibility; "not a very likely excuse"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. probably, likely, in all likelihood, in all probability, belike
- usage: with considerable certainty; without much doubt; "He is probably out of the country"; "in all likelihood we are headed for war"
All rights reserved.
See also: likely (Dictionary)