WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. lighten, lighten up, buoy up, cheer
- usage: make more cheerful; "the conversation lightened me up a bit"
- 2. lighten, unburden, disburden
- usage: reduce the weight on; make lighter; "she lightened the load on the tired donkey"
- 3. lighten, lighten up, buoy up, cheer, cheer up, chirk up
- usage: become more cheerful; "after a glass of wine, he lightened up a bit"
- 4. brighten, lighten up, lighten, change, alter, modify
- usage: make lighter or brighter; "The paint will brighten the room"
- 5. lighten, lighten up, change
- usage: become lighter; "The room lightened up"
- 6. relieve, lighten, mitigate
- usage: alleviate or remove (pressure or stress) or make less oppressive; "relieve the pressure and the stress"; "lighten the burden of caring for her elderly parents"
All rights reserved.
See also: lighten (Dictionary)