- 1. defeat, licking, ending, conclusion, finish, failure
- usage: an unsuccessful ending to a struggle or contest; "it was a narrow defeat"; "the army's only defeat"; "they suffered a convincing licking"
- 2. beating, thrashing, licking, drubbing, lacing, trouncing, whacking, corporal punishment
- usage: the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. cream, bat, clobber, drub, thrash, lick, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: beat thoroughly and conclusively in a competition or fight; "We licked the other team on Sunday!"
- 2. lick, lap, stroke
- usage: pass the tongue over; "the dog licked her hand"
- 3. solve, work out, figure out, puzzle out, lick, work, understand
- usage: find the solution to (a problem or question) or understand the meaning of; "did you solve the problem?"; "Work out your problems with the boss"; "this unpleasant situation isn't going to work itself out"; "did you get it?"; "Did you get my meaning?"; "He could not work the math problem"
- 4. lap, lap up, lick, drink, imbibe
- usage: take up with the tongue; "The cat lapped up the milk"; "the cub licked the milk from its mother's breast"
All rights reserved.
See also: licking (Dictionary)