- 1. license, licence, liberty
- usage: excessive freedom; lack of due restraint; "when liberty becomes license dictatorship is near"- Will Durant; "the intolerable license with which the newspapers break...the rules of decorum"- Edmund Burke
- 2. license, licence, liberty
- usage: freedom to deviate deliberately from normally applicable rules or practices (especially in behavior or speech)
- 3. license, licence, permit, legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
- usage: a legal document giving official permission to do something
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. license, licence, certify, authorize, authorise, pass, clear
- usage: authorize officially; "I am licensed to practice law in this state"
All rights reserved.
See also: licence (Dictionary)