- 1. letter, missive, text, textual matter, document
- usage: a written message addressed to a person or organization; "mailed an indignant letter to the editor"
- 2. letter, letter of the alphabet, alphabetic character, character, grapheme, graphic symbol
- usage: the conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech; "his grandmother taught him his letters"
- 3. letter, owner, proprietor
- usage: owner who lets another person use something (housing usually) for hire
- 4. letter, literal interpretation
- usage: a strictly literal interpretation (as distinct from the intention); "he followed instructions to the letter"; "he obeyed the letter of the law"
- 5. letter, varsity letter, award, accolade, honor, honour, laurels
- usage: an award earned by participation in a school sport; "he won letters in three sports"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. letter, earn, garner
- usage: win an athletic letter
- 2. letter, print, impress
- usage: set down or print with letters
- 3. letter, write
- usage: mark letters on or mark with letters
All rights reserved.
See also: letter (Dictionary)