- 1. leaner, throw
- usage: (horseshoes) the throw of a horseshoe so as to lean against (but not encircle) the stake
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. thin (vs. fat), lean, anorexic, anorectic, bony, cadaverous, emaciated, gaunt, haggard, pinched, skeletal, wasted, deep-eyed, hollow-eyed, sunken-eyed, gangling, gangly, lanky, lank, spindly, rawboned, reedy, reedlike, twiggy, twiglike, scarecrowish, scraggy, boney, scrawny, skinny, underweight, weedy, shriveled, shrivelled, shrunken, withered, wizen, wizened, slender, slight, slim, svelte, slender-waisted, slim-waisted, wasp-waisted, spare, trim, spindle-legged, spindle-shanked, stringy, wiry, wisplike, wispy, ectomorphic, thin
- usage: lacking excess flesh; "you can't be too rich or too thin"; "Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look"-Shakespeare
- 2. lean (vs. rich)
- usage: lacking in mineral content or combustible material; "lean ore"; "lean fuel"
- 3. lean, skimpy, insufficient (vs. sufficient), deficient
- usage: containing little excess; "a lean budget"; "a skimpy allowance"
- 4. lean, unprofitable (vs. profitable)
- usage: not profitable or prosperous; "a lean year"
All rights reserved.
See also: leaner (Dictionary)