Synonyms of lean
- 1. tilt, list, inclination, lean, leaning, position, spatial relation
- usage: the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical; "the tower had a pronounced tilt"; "the ship developed a list to starboard"; "he walked with a heavy inclination to the right"
- 1. lean, tilt, tip, slant, angle, bend, flex
- usage: to incline or bend from a vertical position; "She leaned over the banister"
- 2. lean, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: cause to lean or incline; "He leaned his rifle against the wall"
- 3. tend, be given, lean, incline, run, be
- usage: have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined; "She tends to be nervous before her lectures"; "These dresses run small"; "He inclined to corpulence"
- 4. lean, trust, swear, rely, bank
- usage: rely on for support; "We can lean on this man"
- 5. list, lean, move
- usage: cause to lean to the side; "Erosion listed the old tree"
- 1. thin (vs. fat), lean, anorexic, anorectic, bony, cadaverous, emaciated, gaunt, haggard, pinched, skeletal, wasted, deep-eyed, hollow-eyed, sunken-eyed, gangling, gangly, lanky, lank, spindly, rawboned, reedy, reedlike, twiggy, twiglike, scarecrowish, scraggy, boney, scrawny, skinny, underweight, weedy, shriveled, shrivelled, shrunken, withered, wizen, wizened, slender, slight, slim, svelte, slender-waisted, slim-waisted, wasp-waisted, spare, trim, spindle-legged, spindle-shanked, stringy, wiry, wisplike, wispy, ectomorphic, thin
- usage: lacking excess flesh; "you can't be too rich or too thin"; "Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look"-Shakespeare
- 2. lean (vs. rich)
- usage: lacking in mineral content or combustible material; "lean ore"; "lean fuel"
- 3. lean, skimpy, insufficient (vs. sufficient), deficient
- usage: containing little excess; "a lean budget"; "a skimpy allowance"
- 4. lean, unprofitable (vs. profitable)
- usage: not profitable or prosperous; "a lean year"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of lean (Dictionary)