WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pine away, waste, languish, weaken
- usage: lose vigor, health, or flesh, as through grief; "After her husband died, she just pined away"
- 2. ache, yearn, yen, pine, languish, hanker, long, yearn
- usage: have a desire for something or someone who is not present; "She ached for a cigarette"; "I am pining for my lover"
- 3. languish, fade, devolve, deteriorate, drop, degenerate
- usage: become feeble; "The prisoner has be languishing for years in the dungeon"
All rights reserved.
See also: languish (Dictionary)