- 1. annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil, displease
- usage: cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
- 2. irritate, worsen, aggravate, exacerbate, exasperate
- usage: excite to an abnormal condition, or chafe or inflame; "Aspirin irritates my stomach"
- 3. irritate, stimulate, excite
- usage: excite to some characteristic action or condition, such as motion, contraction, or nervous impulse, by the application of a stimulus; "irritate the glands of a leaf"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. annoyed, irritated, miffed, nettled, peeved, pissed, pissed off, riled, roiled, steamed, stung, displeased (vs. pleased)
- usage: aroused to impatience or anger; "made an irritated gesture"; "feeling nettled from the constant teasing"; "peeved about being left out"; "felt really pissed at her snootiness"; "riled no end by his lies"; "roiled by the delay"
All rights reserved.
See also: irritated (Dictionary)