WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. iris, flag, fleur-de-lis, sword lily, iridaceous plant
- usage: plants with sword-shaped leaves and erect stalks bearing bright-colored flowers composed of three petals and three drooping sepals
- 2. iris, membrane, tissue layer
- usage: muscular diaphragm that controls the size of the pupil which in turn controls the amount of light that enters the eye; it forms the colored portion of the eye
- 3. iris, iris diaphragm, diaphragm, stop
- usage: diaphragm consisting of thin overlapping plates that can be adjusted to change the diameter of a central opening
All rights reserved.
See also: iris (Dictionary)