WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- 2. inwardness, cognitive state, state of mind
- usage: preoccupation especially with one's attitudes and ethical or ideological values; "the sensitiveness of James's characters, their seeming inwardness"; "inwardness is what an Englishman quite simply has, painlessly, as a birthright"
- 3. inwardness, position, spatial relation
- usage: the quality or state of being inward or internal; "the inwardness of the body's organs"
- 4. inwardness, internality, introversion
- usage: preoccupation with what concerns human inner nature (especially ethical or ideological values); "Socrates' inwardness, integrity, and inquisitiveness"- H.R.Finch
All rights reserved.
See also: inwardness (Dictionary)