WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. raise, conjure, conjure up, invoke, evoke, stir, call down, arouse, bring up, put forward, call forth, make, create
- usage: summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic; "raise the specter of unemployment"; "he conjured wild birds in the air"; "call down the spirits from the mountain"
- 2. invoke, appeal, mention, advert, bring up, cite, name, refer
- usage: cite as an authority; resort to; "He invoked the law that would save him"; "I appealed to the law of 1900"; "She invoked an ancient law"
- 3. appeal, invoke, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: request earnestly (something from somebody); ask for aid or protection; "appeal to somebody for help"; "Invoke God in times of trouble"
All rights reserved.
See also: invoke (Dictionary)