WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. interpret, construe, see, understand
- usage: make sense of; assign a meaning to; "What message do you see in this letter?"; "How do you interpret his behavior?"
- 2. rede, interpret, explain, explicate
- usage: give an interpretation or explanation to
- 3. interpret, render, perform, execute, do
- usage: give an interpretation or rendition of; "The pianist rendered the Beethoven sonata beautifully"
- 4. represent, interpret, re-create
- usage: create an image or likeness of; "The painter represented his wife as a young girl"
- 5. translate, interpret, render, repeat, reiterate, ingeminate, iterate, restate, retell
- usage: restate (words) from one language into another language; "I have to translate when my in-laws from Austria visit the U.S."; "Can you interpret the speech of the visiting dignitaries?"; "She rendered the French poem into English"; "He translates for the U.N."
- 6. understand, read, interpret, translate, understand
- usage: make sense of a language; "She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
All rights reserved.
See also: interpret (Dictionary)