WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. escalate, intensify, step up, increase
- usage: increase in extent or intensity; "The Allies escalated the bombing"
- 2. intensify, compound, heighten, deepen, increase
- usage: make more intense, stronger, or more marked; "The efforts were intensified", "Her rudeness intensified his dislike for her"; "Pot smokers claim it heightens their awareness"; "This event only deepened my convictions"
- 3. intensify, deepen, increase
- usage: become more intense; "The debate intensified"; "His dislike for raw fish only deepened in Japan"
- 4. intensify, change, alter, modify
- usage: make the chemically affected part of (a negative) denser or more opaque in order produce a stronger contrast between light and dark
All rights reserved.
See also: intensify (Dictionary)