Synonyms of initiate
- 1. novice, beginner, tyro, tiro, initiate, unskilled person
- usage: someone new to a field or activity
- 2. initiate, learned person, pundit, savant, scholar, scholarly person, bookman, student
- usage: someone who has been admitted to membership in a scholarly field
- 3. initiate, enlightened, people
- usage: people who have been introduced to the mysteries of some field or activity; "it is very familiar to the initiate"
- 1. originate, initiate, start, make, create
- usage: bring into being; "He initiated a new program"; "Start a foundation"
- 2. initiate, pioneer, cause, do, make
- usage: take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of; "This South African surgeon pioneered heart transplants"
- 3. initiate, induct, admit, let in, include
- usage: accept people into an exclusive society or group, usually with some rite; "African men are initiated when they reach puberty"
- 4. broach, initiate, hash out, discuss, talk over
- usage: bring up a topic for discussion
- 5. lead up, initiate, originate, initiate, start
- usage: set in motion, start an event or prepare the way for; "Hitler's attack on Poland led up to World War II"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of initiate (Dictionary)