WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: to put down by force or authority; "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires"
- 2. inhibit, restrict, restrain, trammel, limit, bound, confine, throttle
- usage: limit the range or extent of; "Contact between the young was inhibited by strict social customs"
- 3. inhibit, impede, hinder
- usage: limit, block, or decrease the action or function of; "inhibit the action of the enzyme"; "inhibit the rate of a chemical reaction"
- 4. inhibit, bottle up, suppress, suppress, repress
- usage: control and refrain from showing; of emotions, desires, impulses, or behavior
All rights reserved.
See also: inhibit (Dictionary)