WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hell, hell on earth, hellhole, snake pit, the pits, inferno, region, part
- usage: any place of pain and turmoil; "the hell of battle"; "the inferno of the engine room"; "when you're alone Christmas is the pits";
- 2. conflagration, inferno, fire
- usage: a very intense and uncontrolled fire
- 3. Hell, perdition, Inferno, infernal region, nether region, pit, imaginary place, mythical place, fictitious place
- usage: (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment; "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"; "Hell is paved with good intentions"-Dr. Johnson
All rights reserved.
See also: inferno (Dictionary)