WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. infection, ill health, unhealthiness, health problem
- usage: the pathological state resulting from the invasion of the body by pathogenic microorganisms
- 2. infection, linguistic process
- usage: (phonetics) the alteration of a speech sound under the influence of a neighboring sound
- 3. infection, pathologic process, pathological process
- usage: (medicine) the invasion of the body by pathogenic microorganisms and their multiplication which can lead to tissue damage and disease
- 4. infection, contagion, transmission, incident
- usage: an incident in which an infectious disease is transmitted
- 5. contagion, infection, communication
- usage: the communication of an attitude or emotional state among a number of people; "a contagion of mirth"; "the infection of his enthusiasm for poetry"
- 6. infection, corruptness, corruption
- usage: moral corruption or contamination; "ambitious men are led astray by an infection that is almost unavoidable"
- 7. infection, illegality
- usage: (international law) illegality that taints or contaminates a ship or cargo rendering it liable to seizure
All rights reserved.
See also: infection (Dictionary)