Synonyms of impulsive
- 1. impulsive, unprompted, spontaneous (vs. induced), self-generated
- usage: proceeding from natural feeling or impulse without external stimulus; "an impulsive gesture of affection"
- 2. impulsive, unpremeditated (vs. premeditated)
- usage: without forethought; "letting him borrow her car was an impulsive act that she immediately regretted"
- 3. driving, impulsive, dynamic (vs. undynamic), dynamical
- usage: having the power of driving or impelling; "a driving personal ambition"; "the driving force was his innate enthusiasm"; "an impulsive force"
- 4. capricious, impulsive, whimsical, arbitrary (vs. nonarbitrary)
- usage: determined by chance or impulse or whim rather than by necessity or reason; "a capricious refusal"; "authoritarian rulers are frequently capricious"; "the victim of whimsical persecutions"
- 5. hotheaded, impulsive, impetuous, madcap, tearaway(prenominal), brainish, incautious (vs. cautious)
- usage: characterized by undue haste and lack of thought or deliberation; "a hotheaded decision"; "liable to such impulsive acts as hugging strangers"; "an impetuous display of spending and gambling"; "madcap escapades"; (`brainish' is archaic)
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of impulsive (Dictionary)