WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion, idea, thought
- usage: a vague idea in which some confidence is placed; "his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying"
- 2. impression, effect, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: an outward appearance; "he made a good impression"; "I wanted to create an impression of success"; "she retained that bold effect in her reproductions of the original painting"
- 3. mental picture, picture, impression, image, mental image
- usage: a clear and telling mental image; "he described his mental picture of his assailant"; "he had no clear picture of himself or his world"; "the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
- 4. depression, impression, imprint, concave shape, concavity, incurvation, incurvature
- usage: a concavity in a surface produced by pressing; "he left the impression of his fingers in the soft mud"
- 5. stamp, impression, symbol
- usage: a symbol that is the result of printing or engraving; "he put his stamp on the envelope"
- 6. impression, printing, publication
- usage: all the copies of a work printed at one time; "they ran off an initial printing of 2000 copies"
- 7. impression, imprint
- usage: (dentistry) an imprint of the teeth and gums in wax or plaster; "the dentist took an impression for use in preparing an inlay"
- 8. impression, portrayal, characterization, enactment, personation
- usage: an impressionistic portrayal of a person; "he did a funny impression of a politician"
- 9. impression, press, pressure, pressing
- usage: the act of pressing one thing on or into the surface of another; "he watched the impression of the seal on the hot wax"
All rights reserved.
See also: impression (Dictionary)