- 1. import, importation, commodity, trade good, good
- usage: commodities (goods or services) bought from a foreign country
- 2. import, importee, foreigner, alien, noncitizen, outlander
- usage: an imported person brought from a foreign country; "the lead role was played by an import from Sweden"; "they are descendants of indentured importees"
- 3. meaning, significance, signification, import, message, content, subject matter, substance
- usage: the message that is intended or expressed or signified; "what is the meaning of this sentence"; "the significance of a red traffic light"; "the signification of Chinese characters"; "the import of his announcement was ambiguous"
- 4. significance, import, implication, meaning, substance
- usage: a meaning that is not expressly stated but can be inferred; "the significance of his remark became clear only later"; "the expectation was spread both by word and by implication"
- 5. consequence, import, moment, significance
- usage: having important effects or influence; "decisions of great consequence are made by the president himself"; "virtue is of more moment than security"; "that result is of no consequence"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. import, trade, merchandise
- usage: bring in from abroad
- 2. import, transfer
- usage: transfer (electronic data) into a database or document
- 3. spell, import, mean, intend
- usage: indicate or signify; "I'm afraid this spells trouble!"
All rights reserved.
See also: import (Dictionary)