- 1. imperative mood, imperative, jussive mood, imperative form, mood, mode, modality
- usage: a mood that expresses an intention to influence the listener's behavior
- 2. imperative, duty, responsibility, obligation
- usage: some duty that is essential and urgent
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. imperative (vs. beseeching), adjuratory, clamant, crying, exigent, insistent, instant, peremptory, desperate, pressing, urgent, strident, shrill, assertive#1, self-asserting#1, self-assertive
- usage: requiring attention or action; "as nuclear weapons proliferate, preventing war becomes imperative"; "requests that grew more and more imperative"
- 2. imperative
- usage: relating to verbs in the imperative mood
All rights reserved.
See also: imperative (Dictionary)