WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. imitative (vs. nonimitative), apish, apelike, mimetic, mimic, parrotlike, simulated
- usage: marked by or given to imitation; "acting is an imitative art"; "man is an imitative being"
- 2. echoic (vs. nonechoic), imitative, onomatopoeic, onomatopoeical, onomatopoetic
- usage: (of words) formed in imitation of a natural sound; "onomatopoeic words are imitative of noises"; "it was independently developed in more than one place as an onomatopoetic term"- Harry Hoijer
- 3. counterfeit (vs. genuine), imitative, assumed, false, fictitious, fictive, pretended, put on, sham, bad, forged, base, bogus, fake, phony, phoney, bastard, inauthentic, unauthentic, spurious, mock, ostensible, ostensive, pinchbeck, pseudo, synthetic, artificial#1, unreal, false, insincere, unreal
- usage: not genuine; imitating something superior; "counterfeit emotion"; "counterfeit money"; "counterfeit works of art"; "a counterfeit prince"
All rights reserved.
See also: imitative (Dictionary)