WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hypothesis, proposal
- usage: a proposal intended to explain certain facts or observations
- 2. hypothesis, possibility, theory, concept, conception, construct
- usage: a tentative insight into the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena; "a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory"; "he proposed a fresh theory of alkalis that later was accepted in chemical practices"
- 3. guess, conjecture, supposition, surmise, surmisal, speculation, hypothesis, opinion, view
- usage: a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
All rights reserved.
See also: hypothesis (Dictionary)