- 1. loanblend, loan-blend, hybrid, word
- usage: a word that is composed of parts from different languages (e.g., `monolingual' has a Greek prefix and a Latin root)
- 2. hybrid, complex, composite
- usage: a composite of mixed origin; "the vice-presidency is a hybrid of administrative and legislative offices"
- 3. hybrid, crossbreed, cross, organism, being
- usage: (genetics) an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock; especially offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties or breeds or species; "a mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hybrid, intercrossed, crossbred (vs. purebred)
- usage: produced by crossbreeding
All rights reserved.
See also: hybrid (Dictionary)