WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. however, nevertheless, withal, still, yet, all the same, even so, nonetheless, notwithstanding
- usage: despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession); "although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it"; "while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"; "he was a stern yet fair master"; "granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go"
- 2. however
- usage: by contrast; on the other hand; "the first part was easy; the second, however, took hours"
- 3. however
- usage: to whatever degree or extent; "The results, however general, are important"; "they have begun, however reluctantly, to acknowledge the legitimacy of some of the opposition's concerns"
- 4. however
- usage: in whatever way or manner; "Victory, however it was brought about, was sweet"; "however he did it, it was very clever"
All rights reserved.
See also: however (Dictionary)