- 1. hostile, military personnel, soldiery, troops
- usage: troops belonging to the enemy's military forces; "the platoon ran into a pack of hostiles"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hostile (vs. amicable), aggressive, belligerent, antagonistic, antipathetic, antipathetical, at loggerheads, bitter, dirty, head-on, ill, opponent, opposing, unfriendly, inimical, aggressive, hateful, offensive, unfriendly, unpeaceful, violent
- usage: characterized by enmity or ill will; "a hostile nation"; "a hostile remark"; "hostile actions"
- 2. hostile (vs. friendly)
- usage: not belonging to your own country's forces or those of an ally; "hostile naval and air forces"
- 3. hostile, irreconcilable (vs. reconcilable), unreconcilable
- usage: impossible to bring into friendly accord; "hostile factions"
- 4. hostile, uncongenial, unfriendly, inhospitable (vs. hospitable)
- usage: very unfavorable to life or growth; "a hostile climate"; "an uncongenial atmosphere"; "an uncongenial soil"; "the unfriendly environment at high altitudes"
- 5. hostile, aggressive (vs. unaggressive)
- usage: unsolicited and resisted by the management of the target company ( used of attempts to buy or take control of a business); "hostile takeover"; "hostile tender offer"; "hostile bid"
All rights reserved.
See also: hostile (Dictionary)