WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hopeless (vs. hopeful), abject, unhopeful, black, bleak, dim, despairing, desperate, despondent, heartsick, forlorn, futureless, helpless, lost, insoluble, discouraging, impossible, pessimistic
- usage: without hope because there seems to be no possibility of comfort or success; "in an agony of hopeless grief"; "with a hopeless sigh he sat down"
- 2. hopeless, unskilled (vs. skilled)
- usage: of a person unable to do something skillfully; "I'm hopeless at mathematics"
- 3. hopeless, impossible (vs. possible)
- usage: certain to fail; "the situation is hopeless"
- 4. hopeless, bad (vs. good)
- usage: (informal to emphasize how bad it is) beyond hope of management or reform; "she handed me a hopeless jumble of papers"; "he is a hopeless romantic"
All rights reserved.
See also: hopeless (Dictionary)