WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hero, leader
- usage: a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength; "RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"
- 2. hero, character, role, theatrical role, part, persona
- usage: the principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem
- 3. champion, fighter, hero, paladin, defender, guardian, protector, shielder
- usage: someone who fights for a cause
- 4. Hero, Heron, Hero of Alexandria
- usage: Greek mathematician and inventor who devised a way to determine the area of a triangle and who described various mechanical devices (first century)
- 5. hero, mythical being
- usage: (classical mythology) a being of great strength and courage celebrated for bold exploits; often the offspring of a mortal and a god
- 6. Hero
- usage: (Greek mythology) priestess of Aphrodite who killed herself when her lover Leander drowned while trying to swim the Hellespont to see her
- 7. bomber, grinder, hero, hero sandwich, hoagie, hoagy, Cuban sandwich, Italian sandwich, poor boy, sub, submarine, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge, zep, sandwich
- usage: a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
All rights reserved.
See also: hero (Dictionary)