WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. heighten, rise, increase
- usage: become more extreme; "The tension heightened"
- 2. heighten, increase
- usage: make more extreme; raise in quantity, degree, or intensity; "heightened interest"
- 3. enhance, heighten, raise, intensify, compound, heighten, deepen
- usage: increase; "This will enhance your enjoyment"; "heighten the tension"
- 4. heighten, raise, lift, elevate, get up, bring up
- usage: increase the height of; "The athletes kept jumping over the steadily heightened bars"
- 5. sharpen, heighten, intensify, compound, heighten, deepen
- usage: make (one's senses) more acute; "This drug will sharpen your vision"
- 6. intensify, compound, heighten, deepen, increase
- usage: make more intense, stronger, or more marked; "The efforts were intensified", "Her rudeness intensified his dislike for her"; "Pot smokers claim it heightens their awareness"; "This event only deepened my convictions"
All rights reserved.
See also: heighten (Dictionary)