Synonyms of heaving
- 1. heave, heaving, rise, rising, ascent, ascension
- usage: an upward movement (especially a rhythmical rising and falling); "the heaving of waves on a rough sea"
- 2. panting, heaving, breathing, external respiration, respiration, ventilation
- usage: breathing heavily (as after exertion)
- 3. heave, heaving, rise, ascent, ascension, ascending
- usage: the act of lifting something with great effort
- 4. heave, heaving, throw
- usage: throwing something heavy (with great effort); "he gave it a mighty heave"; "he was not good at heaving passes"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. heave, utter, emit, let out, let loose
- usage: utter a sound, as with obvious effort; "She heaved a deep sigh when she saw the list of things to do"
- 2. heave, throw
- usage: throw with great effort
- 3. billow, surge, heave, inflate, blow up
- usage: rise and move, as in waves or billows; "The army surged forward"
- 4. heave, heave up, heft, heft up, lift
- usage: lift or elevate
- 5. heave, move
- usage: move or cause to move in a specified way, direction, or position; "The vessel hove into sight"
- 6. pant, puff, gasp, heave, blow
- usage: breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted; "The runners reached the finish line, panting heavily"
- 7. heave, buckle, warp, change surface
- usage: bend out of shape, as under pressure or from heat; "The highway buckled during the heat wave"
- 8. gag, heave, retch
- usage: make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit
All rights reserved.