Synonyms of hearing
- 1. hearing, proceeding, legal proceeding, proceedings
- usage: (law) a proceeding (usually by a court) where evidence is taken for the purpose of determining an issue of fact and reaching a decision based on that evidence
- 2. hearing, audience, opportunity, chance
- usage: an opportunity to state your case and be heard; "they condemned him without a hearing"; "he saw that he had lost his audience"
- 3. earshot, earreach, hearing, range, reach
- usage: the range within which a voice can be heard; "the children were told to stay within earshot"
- 4. listening, hearing, sensing, perception
- usage: the act of hearing attentively; "you can learn a lot by just listening"; "they make good music--you should give them a hearing"
- 5. hearing, session
- usage: a session (of a committee or grand jury) in which witnesses are called and testimony is taken; "the investigative committee will hold hearings in Chicago"
- 6. hearing, audition, auditory sense, sense of hearing, auditory modality, modality, sense modality, sensory system, exteroception
- usage: the ability to hear; the auditory faculty; "his hearing was impaired"
- 1. hear, perceive, comprehend
- usage: perceive (sound) via the auditory sense
- 2. learn, hear, get word, get wind, pick up, find out, get a line, discover, see
- usage: get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally; "I learned that she has two grown-up children"; "I see that you have been promoted"
- 3. hear, try, probe, examine
- usage: examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process; "The jury had heard all the evidence"; "The case will be tried in California"
- 4. hear, pick up, receive
- usage: receive a communication from someone; "We heard nothing from our son for five years"
- 5. listen, hear, take heed, concentrate, focus, center, centre, pore, rivet
- usage: listen and pay attention; "Listen to your father"; "We must hear the expert before we make a decision"
- 1. hearing(prenominal) (vs. deaf), sharp-eared, quick-eared
- usage: able to perceive sound
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of hearing (Dictionary)