- 1. arrest, check, halt, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage, inaction, inactivity, inactiveness
- usage: the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- 2. stop, halt, ending, conclusion, finish
- usage: the event of something ending; "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- 3. freeze, halt, pause
- usage: an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement; "a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
- 1. halt, hold, arrest, stop
- usage: cause to stop; "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"
- 2. stop, halt
- usage: come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
- 3. stop, halt, block, kibosh, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
- 4. stem, stanch, staunch, halt, check
- usage: stop the flow of a liquid; "staunch the blood flow"; "stem the tide"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. crippled, halt, halting, lame, gimpy, game, unfit (vs. fit)
- usage: disabled in the feet or legs; "a crippled soldier"; "a game leg"
All rights reserved.
See also: halt (Dictionary)