WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Gustavus, Gustavus VI
- usage: the last king of Sweden to have any real political power (1882-1973)
- 2. Gustavus, Gustavus V
- usage: king of Sweden who kept Sweden neutral during both World War I and II (1858-1950)
- 3. Gustavus, Gustavus IV
- usage: king of Sweden whose losses to Napoleon I led to his being deposed in 1809 (1778-1837)
- 4. Gustavus, Gustavus III
- usage: king of Sweden who increased the royal power and waged an unpopular war against Russia (1746-1792)
- 5. Gustavus, Gustavus II, Gustavus Adolphus
- usage: king of Sweden whose victories in battle made Sweden a European power; his domestic reforms made Sweden a modern state; in 1630 he intervened on the Protestant side of the Thirty Years' War and was killed in the battle of Lutzen (1594-1632)
- 6. Gustavus, Gustavus I
- usage: king of Sweden who established Lutheranism as the state religion (1496-1560)
All rights reserved.
See also: gustavus (Dictionary)