- 1. guard, watch, observe, follow, watch over, keep an eye on
- usage: to keep watch over; "there would be men guarding the horses"
- 2. guard, ward, protect
- usage: watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect; "guard my possessions while I'm away"
- 3. defend, guard, hold, protect
- usage: protect against a challenge or attack; "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
- 4. guard, act, move
- usage: take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence; "guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"; "guard against infection"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. guarded, restrained, cautious (vs. incautious)
- usage: prudent; "guarded optimism"
All rights reserved.
See also: guarded (Dictionary)