WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone, assumption, supposition, supposal
- usage: the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained; "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture"
- 2. foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure, support
- usage: lowest support of a structure; "it was built on a base of solid rock"; "he stood at the foot of the tower"
- 3. groundwork, preparation, readying
- usage: preliminary preparation as a basis or foundation; "we are prepared today because of groundwork that was done ten years ago"
All rights reserved.
See also: groundwork (Dictionary)