WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. gravity, gravitation, gravitational attraction, gravitational force, attraction, attractive force
- usage: (physics) the force of attraction between all masses in the universe; especially the attraction of the earth's mass for bodies near its surface; "the more remote the body the less the gravity"; "the gravitation between two bodies is proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them"; "gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love"--Albert Einstein
- 2. gravitation, change of location, travel
- usage: movement downward resulting from gravitational attraction; "irrigation by gravitation rather than by pumps"
- 3. gravitation, drift, trend, movement
- usage: a figurative movement toward some attraction; "the gravitation of the middle class to the suburbs"
All rights reserved.
See also: gravitation (Dictionary)