WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. gratuitous, unmerited (vs. merited)
- usage: without cause; "a gratuitous insult"
- 2. complimentary, costless, free, gratis(predicate), gratuitous, unpaid (vs. paid)
- usage: costing nothing; "complimentary tickets"; "free admission"
- 3. gratuitous, needless, uncalled-for, unnecessary (vs. necessary), unneeded
- usage: unnecessary and unwarranted; "a strikers' tent camp...was burned with needless loss of life"
All rights reserved.
See also: gratuitous (Dictionary)