- 1. gold, precious metal
- usage: coins made of gold
- 2. amber, gold, yellow, yellowness
- usage: a deep yellow color; "an amber light illuminated the room"; "he admired the gold of her hair"
- 3. gold, Au, atomic number 79, noble metal
- usage: a soft yellow malleable ductile (trivalent and univalent) metallic element; occurs mainly as nuggets in rocks and alluvial deposits; does not react with most chemicals but is attacked by chlorine and aqua regia
- 4. gold, wealth, riches
- usage: great wealth; "Whilst that for which all virtue now is sold, and almost every vice--almighty gold"--Ben Jonson
- 5. gold, invaluableness, preciousness, pricelessness, valuableness
- usage: something likened to the metal in brightness or preciousness or superiority etc.; "the child was as good as gold"; "she has a heart of gold"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. gold, golden, gilded, metallic (vs. nonmetallic), metal(prenominal)
- usage: made from or covered with gold; "gold coins"; "the gold dome of the Capitol"; "the golden calf"; "gilded icons"
- 2. aureate, gilded, gilt, gold, golden, chromatic (vs. achromatic)
- usage: having the deep slightly brownish color of gold; "long aureate (or golden) hair"; "a gold carpet"
All rights reserved.
See also: gold (Dictionary)