- 1. gear, gear wheel, geared wheel, cogwheel, wheel
- usage: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion
- 2. gearing, gear, geartrain, power train, train, wheelwork
- usage: wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed; "the fool got his tie caught in the geartrain"
- 3. gear, gear mechanism, mechanism
- usage: a mechanism for transmitting motion for some specific purpose (as the steering gear of a vehicle)
- 4. gear, paraphernalia, appurtenance, equipment
- usage: equipment consisting of miscellaneous articles needed for a particular operation or sport etc.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. gear, pitch, adapt, accommodate
- usage: set the level or character of; "She pitched her speech to the teenagers in the audience"
All rights reserved.
See also: gear (Dictionary)