WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. gauntlet, gantlet, challenge
- usage: to offer or accept a challenge; "threw down the gauntlet"; "took up the gauntlet"
- 2. gauntlet, gantlet, metal glove, glove
- usage: a glove of armored leather; protects the hand
- 3. gauntlet, gantlet, glove
- usage: a glove with long sleeve
- 4. gantlet, railroad track, railroad, railway
- usage: the convergence of two parallel railroad tracks in a narrow place; the inner rails cross and run parallel and then diverge so a train remains on its own tracks at all times
- 5. gauntlet, gantlet, corporal punishment
- usage: a form of punishment in which a person is forced to run between two lines of men facing each other and armed with clubs or whips to beat the victim
All rights reserved.
See also: gantlet (Dictionary)