WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone, assumption, supposition, supposal
- usage: the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained; "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture"
- 2. buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass, body part
- usage: the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
- 3. foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure, support
- usage: lowest support of a structure; "it was built on a base of solid rock"; "he stood at the foot of the tower"
All rights reserved.
See also: fundament (Dictionary)