WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. luck, fortune, chance, hazard, phenomenon
- usage: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another; "bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance"
- 2. fortune, treasure, hoarded wealth
- usage: a large amount of wealth or prosperity
- 3. luck, fortune, phenomenon
- usage: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome; "it was my good luck to be there"; "they say luck is a lady"; "it was as if fortune guided his hand"
- 4. fortune, destiny, fate, luck, lot, circumstances, portion, condition
- usage: your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion"
All rights reserved.
See also: fortune (Dictionary)