WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. foreign (vs. domestic), abroad, overseas, external, international, outside(prenominal), international
- usage: of concern to or concerning the affairs of other nations (other than your own); "foreign trade"; "a foreign office"
- 2. foreign (vs. native), strange, adventive, alien, exotic, nonnative, established, naturalized, foreign-born, nonnative, imported, tramontane, unnaturalized, unnaturalised
- usage: relating to or originating in or characteristic of another place or part of the world; "foreign nations"; "a foreign accent"; "on business in a foreign city"
- 3. alien, foreign, extrinsic (vs. intrinsic)
- usage: not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something; "an economic theory alien to the spirit of capitalism"; "the mysticism so foreign to the French mind and temper"; "jealousy is foreign to her nature"
- 4. extraneous, foreign, adulterating (vs. purifying), adulterant
- usage: not belonging to that in which it is contained; introduced from an outside source; "water free of extraneous matter"; "foreign particles in milk"
All rights reserved.
See also: foreign (Dictionary)