WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. bridgehead, foothold, combat zone, combat area
- usage: an area in hostile territory that has been captured and is held awaiting further troops and supplies; "an attempt to secure a bridgehead behind enemy lines"; "the only foothold left for British troops in Europe was Gibraltar"
- 2. foothold, footing, support
- usage: a place providing support for the foot in standing or climbing
- 3. beachhead, foothold, accomplishment, achievement
- usage: an initial accomplishment that opens the way for further developments; "the town became a beachhead in the campaign to ban smoking outdoors"; "they are presently attempting to gain a foothold in the Russian market"
All rights reserved.
See also: foothold (Dictionary)