WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. folk, folks, common people, people
- usage: people in general (often used in the plural); "they're just country folk"; "folks around here drink moonshine"; "the common people determine the group character and preserve its customs from one generation to the next"
- 2. tribe, folk, social group
- usage: a social division of (usually preliterate) people
- 3. family, family line, folk, kinfolk, kinsfolk, sept, phratry, lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock
- usage: people descended from a common ancestor; "his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"
- 4. folk music, ethnic music, folk, popular music, popular music genre
- usage: the traditional and typically anonymous music that is an expression of the life of people in a community
All rights reserved.
See also: folk (Dictionary)