- 1. foil, sheet metal
- usage: a piece of thin and flexible sheet metal; "the photographic film was wrapped in foil"
- 2. foil, enhancer, attention
- usage: anything that serves by contrast to call attention to another thing's good qualities; "pretty girls like plain friends as foils"
- 3. hydrofoil, foil, device
- usage: a device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through; "the fins of a fish act as hydrofoils"
- 4. foil, transparency, picture, image, icon, ikon
- usage: picture consisting of a positive photograph or drawing on a transparent base; viewed with a projector
- 5. foil, fencing sword
- usage: a light slender flexible sword tipped by a button
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. foil, contrast, counterpoint
- usage: enhance by contrast; "In this picture, the figures are foiled against the background"
- 2. thwart, queer, spoil, scotch, foil, cross, frustrate, baffle, bilk, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing September surge"; "foil your opponent"
- 3. foil, cover
- usage: cover or back with foil; "foil mirrors"
All rights reserved.
See also: foil (Dictionary)