Synonyms of flies
- 1. flies, space
- usage: (theater) the space over the stage (out of view of the audience) used to store scenery (drop curtains)
- 1. flies, space
- usage: two-winged insects characterized by active flight
- 2. fly, dipterous insect, two-winged insects, dipteran, dipteron
- usage: flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent
- 3. tent-fly, rainfly, fly sheet, fly, tent flap, flap
- usage: an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or by buttons concealed under a fold of cloth
- 4. fly, fly front, opening
- usage: (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air
- 5. fly, fly ball, hit, hitting, striking
- usage: fisherman's lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. fly, wing, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: travel through the air; be airborne; "Man cannot fly"
- 2. fly, move
- usage: move quickly or suddenly; "He flew about the place"
- 3. fly, aviate, pilot, operate, control
- usage: operate an airplane; "The pilot flew to Cuba"
- 4. fly, transport, carry
- usage: transport by aeroplane; "We fly flowers from the Caribbean to North America"
- 5. fly
- usage: cause to fly or float; "fly a kite"
- 6. fly, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: be dispersed or disseminated; "Rumors and accusations are flying"
- 7. fly, change
- usage: change quickly from one emotional state to another; "fly into a rage"
- 8. fly, fell, vanish, elapse, lapse, pass, slip by, glide by, slip away, go by, slide by, go along
- usage: pass away rapidly; "Time flies like an arrow"; "Time fleeing beneath him"
- 9. fly, travel
- usage: travel in an airplane; "she is flying to Cincinnati tonight"; "Are we driving or flying?"
- 10. fly, show
- usage: display in the air or cause to float; "fly a kite"; "All nations fly their flags in front of the U.N."
- 11. flee, fly, take flight, scat, run, scarper, turn tail, lam, run away, hightail it, bunk, head for the hills, take to the woods, escape, fly the coop, break away
- usage: run away quickly; "He threw down his gun and fled"
- 12. fly, travel, journey
- usage: travel over (an area of land or sea) in an aircraft; "Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic"
- 13. fly, hit
- usage: hit a fly
- 14. vanish, fly, vaporize, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: decrease rapidly and disappear; "the money vanished in las Vegas"; "all my stock assets have vaporized"
All rights reserved.