- 1. Federal, Federal soldier, Union soldier, Yankee, Yank, Northerner
- usage: a member of the Union Army during the American Civil War
- 2. Federal, Fed, federal official, agent, federal agent
- usage: any federal law-enforcement officer
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. federal, national (vs. local)
- usage: national; especially in reference to the government of the United States as distinct from that of its member units; "the Federal Bureau of Investigation"; "federal courts"; "the federal highway program"; "federal property"
- 2. federal
- usage: of or relating to the central government of a federation; "a federal district is one set aside as the seat of the national government"
- 3. Union, Federal, northern (vs. southern)
- usage: being of or having to do with the northern United States and those loyal to the Union during the American Civil War; "Union soldiers"; "Federal forces"; "a Federal infantryman"
- 4. federal (vs. unitary)
- usage: characterized by or constituting a form of government in which power is divided between one central and several regional authorities; "a federal system like that of the United States"; "federal governments often evolved out of confederations"
All rights reserved.
See also: federal (Dictionary)